Do you reside in Illinois and are you a victim of Domestic Violence?
Governor Pritzger recently signed new Law giving you more protection.
- A new Statewide Commission has been created with a goal of reducing the number of people killed as a result of Domestic Violence. A terrible but sad fact is that people actually die as a result of Domestic Abuse. The new Law will identify ways in which there are gaps in community services and look at alternative and more systemic ways in which local community services can respond to cries for help and prevent future fatalities.
- Kids are to be protected at school. If your kids are victims of Domestic Violence which can include even witnessing Domestic Violence perpetuated on someone else in the household, the new Law aims to make sure they stay in school and not drop out due to the stress. It requires schools to have a least one person on staff who is trained to respond to disclosure of Domestic Violence at home.
- Hope Cards are now issued to Victims of Domestic Violence. You can carry the Laminated Card with you at all times which will not degrade over time.
- If you are involved in a Divorce, the new Law allows you to request that your spouse pay you an “allowance” so that you can hire an attorney until the case is concluded.
- The new Law also entitles you to request up to 12 weeks off from work a year unpaid if you are a survivor of violent crime.
Know your rights! In Illinois if you are a victim of Domestic Violence, there are a number of resources at your disposal.
If you are a victim of Domestic Violence and you are going through a Divorce or Custody Dispute, we at Gabrielle S. Davis PC would be happy to assist you. We can bring a Petition for Order of Protection at the same time you file a Divorce or Custody Petition. We at Gabrielle S. Davis PC pride ourselves on aggressive representation for Victims of Domestic Violence.