Dos and Dont’s in Dating and Divorce.
As a Divorce Lawyer, I have seen a number of situations where complications arise when Dating during a Divorce.
It is understandable that with your marriage failing, you want to get out there. Meet people. Feel attractive again. Feel the chemistry in the air.
But Dating during a Divorce can be complicated.
Here are some dos and don’ts.
1. Do be Discreet! Talk or write to the new person on your own time not in the presence of your spouse or children.
2. Take your time when introducing your girlfriend or boyfriend to your kids. Consider how your spouse and your kids will react.
3. Don’t post pictures of you and your new significant other on the Internet. Once your spouse gets wind of it, that can only escalate tensions between the two of you in a big way especially if you are still living in the same house or apartment.
4. Don’t spend a lot of money on the new guy or gal. Credit Card and Bank Records can be subpoenaed in a Divorce Proceeding. While Infidelity is not grounds for Divorce anymore in Illinois, your soon to be ex can go after half of what you spend on that boyfriend or girlfriend and you will get that much less in the Divorce Settlement.
5. Don’t spend a lot of money with that new guy or gal. During the Divorce, your spouse can use those Credit Card and Bank Records to show how much money you have been spending not on the family but on trips or dinners with the new person even if you are not giving outright gifts or loans to the new guy or gal.
Dating and Divorce is complicated. Consult an attorney. We at Gabrielle Davis, PC in Oak Park and Oak Brook, Illinois can help you make informed decisions along the way.