Your Solutions Start With A Phone Call
Schedule A Free Consultation

Oak Park: 708-628-5102
Oak Brook: 630-206-4812

A Caring Approach to Divorce And
Family Law Issues
In Chicago

Uncovering Lies about Income in Divorce Cases

Unfortunately, people lie quite often in Divorce and Child Support Cases about how much money they make. 

Here are 4 tips for getting at the truth if you suspect this is happening.

1. Get Tax Returns for 5 years. Maybe the two of you have been estranged for a long period of time. You always filed separately. Make sure that you and your attorney get copies of Tax Returns with all Attachments for the past 5 years especially if your husband or wife is self-employed. He or she may be purposely earning less planning for the inevitable. 

2. If your spouse is self-employed and/or is a partner in a business, the form K-3 can be especially helpful.

3. Your lawyer can also send out formal form questions and a lengthy request for documents which can benefit you incredibly.

4. Once you have documents like a bank statement, you can use the account numbers to subpoena records. Records Subpoenas are very helpful as well in getting work records. For example, you might be suspicious of a pay stub showing absolutely no overtime when your husband or wife always made overtime in the past. 

Cash and Ring.jpg

When someone is lying about what they earn in a divorce or child support case, it can be a real problem. At my firm, I know it is important to be aggressive about getting at the truth. You have to have records of what your spouse is really making in order to get a fair child support or maintenance award.