Your Solutions Start With A Phone Call
Schedule A Free Consultation
Oak Park: 708-628-5102
Oak Brook: 630-206-4812

Substitution of Divorce Judge

My blogs have always emphasized the advantage of settling your Divorce case rather than proceeding to trial. But it takes time to settle Divorce cases and when you first file, you will be assigned a Divorce Judge.

Divorce Courtroom.jpgChoose an attorney who knows the Divorce Judges in your County. He or she can move for a different Judge as soon as the case is assigned. The attorney makes a Motion for Substitution of Judge. You will get a different Judge as long as that Judge has not made a ruling or decision in your case. 

That ruling has to be more than on something trivial like a continuance or allowing you to serve your spouse with a special process server. If, for example, the Judge has already awarded child support, you are out of luck.

You don't get a choice on the new Judge. It is entirely random and you will never get a chance to get a new one. That is why your attorney has to know what other Judges might be available and whether they might be even worse for you. 

Moving for a new Judge is an important decision so be sure to discuss it in detail with your attorney if he or she suggests it.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Oak Park Office
1101 Lake Street
Oak Park, IL 60301

Phone: 630-206-4812
Phone: 708-358-0901
Fax: 708-358-1335
Map & Directions

Oak Brook Office
700 Commerce Drive,
Suite 500
Oak Brook, IL 60523

Phone: 708-628-5102
Phone: 630-288-5000
Map & Directions