PLEASE NOTE: In response to Governor Pritzker’s shelter-in-place order, our physical office is closed. However, our attorney’s and support staff are working remotely in order to service all of your needs. We can be reached via phone or email.
Your Solutions Start With A Phone Call
Schedule A Free Consultation
Oak Park: 708-628-5102
Oak Brook: 630-206-4812

Pet Custody. Who gets the Family Pet during a Divorce?

Going through a Divorce and you have a Family Pet. As of January 1, 2018, Illinois Courts now recognize "Pet Custody" . The two of you have competing property rights in your dog, cat, reptile or any other "companion animal". You can also litigate or negotiate "parenting time" with your pet and who pays for its upkeep. 

According to 750 ILCS 5/503(n) of the new "Pet Custody" Law in Illinois, if the Court finds that a companion animal is a marital asset, the court shall allocate sole or joint ownership and responsibility to a party...and in allocating responsiblity for the animal to one or both of you, it shall consider the animal's best interests.

What does this mean and how can you prepare for divorce if you know the family pet is going to be an issue?

1. You need to determine whether the animal came to live with you before or during the marriage. If Fido or the Gray Striped Cat was acquired by you before you got married, there is nothing to decide, the animal goes with you.

2. If your cat, dog or reptile was acquired during the marriage, see if you have any ownership papers of the animal and set them aside. Those papers may designate who made the purchase, how much was paid and when. You might be entitled to a credit though that is unlikely but they will at least give you a starting point and a monetary value for the animal as cold as that may sound.

3. Just like in child custody cases, keep a journal of who takes care of the pet on a regular basis. Who walks the dog? Who changes the cat litter? Who plays with the animal? Answers to those questions go to the best interests of the pet.

Pet Custody.jpgHopefully the Family Pet will not be an issue but even if the two of you agree, it might be a good idea to spell it out in your Marital Settlement Agreement. Consult an attorney to determine the best way to comply with the new law in the simplest most straight forward way possible.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Oak Park Office
1101 Lake Street
Oak Park, IL 60301

Phone: 630-206-4812
Phone: 708-358-0901
Fax: 708-358-1335
Map & Directions

Oak Brook Office
700 Commerce Drive,
Suite 500
Oak Brook, IL 60523

Phone: 708-628-5102
Phone: 630-288-5000
Map & Directions