Some of us end up interviewing a number of divorce or custody lawyers. We want someone who will fight for us and get the best possible results but too often we end up disappointed and frustrated by the process. We often wonder if we made the best choice after all.
Here are 5 tips for finding the best divorce or custody lawyer for you.
- Make sure he or she clearly explains how much money will be needed to start the Divorce or Custody process and what their billing procedures are. Get an attorney who explains options, someone who tells you how costly it might be to attempt to resolve everything in the courtroom and who explains less expensive options such as mediation, the collaborative approach, and negotiation.
- Get an attorney who explains the process of Divorce or attempting to get Custody of children clearly. For example, you can start by filing the petition and sending a letter to your spouse or the other parent to avoid the trauma of serving the papers on them. You can suggest a settlement conference immediately to avoid litigation costs or if this is an emergency situation, you serve the papers immediately on the other parent and ask for immediate court assistance.
- Inquire about that attorney’s background and experience. How long has the lawyer been out of law school? Is Family Law his or her concentration? If so, how many years has he or she been concentrating in Divorce and Custody law?
- Explain your situation. Pay attention to whether the attorney is really listening to you and whether he or she offers concrete advice and suggestions on how to proceed in your unique circumstances.
- Finally, find a lawyer who keeps up with recent developments in Divorce or Family Law. There have been a number of changes lately made by our state legislature and it is crucial that your lawyer knows what they are and how they apply to your situation. For example, child support and maintenance are calculated completely differently then they were only a few years ago. You don’t want an attorney who is out of touch. He or she could make mistakes that could cost you.
These are just a few tips for finding the right Divorce or Custody lawyer for you. Don’t be afraid to ask questions! At the Law Firm of Gabrielle Davis, PC, we know how important deciding on the right divorce lawyer or custody lawyer can be.