PLEASE NOTE: In response to Governor Pritzker’s shelter-in-place order, our physical office is closed. However, our attorney’s and support staff are working remotely in order to service all of your needs. We can be reached via phone or email.
Your Solutions Start With A Phone Call
Schedule A Free Consultation
Oak Park: 708-628-5102
Oak Brook: 630-206-4812

Your Divorce and the New Tax Law

26780484-divorce-winner-and-looser-concept-of-bitter-end-of-martial-war.pngThe Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 will affect divorcing couples with maintenance or alimony concerns in a big way.

As of January 1, 2019, if you are ordered to pay maintenance or what we used to call alimony, you can no longer deduct those payments on your taxes. If you want to deduct those payments on your taxes, you will need to finalize your divorce in 2018.

Beginning January 2019, if you are receiving maintenance, you won't have to declare it as income but your ex will no longer be able to deduct it. This is exactly how we treat child support.

There are other changes in the new Tax Law that will affect you in your divorce.

1. You will no longer be able to claim a personal exemption. That was reduced to zero

2. Deductions for state and local taxes above $10,000.00 are gone.

3. Unless you or your spouse are in the military, you can no longer deduct moving expenses when you move out of the marital home.

There could be various consequences to these changes. It might become more difficult to keep the marital home. Why?

If your spouse is no longer reporting mainenance as additional income, he or she may have difficulty getting a mortgage. It depends on the mortgage company and their guidelines.

One bright side, is this may lead to more lump sum settlements instead of alimony. It might make more sense in some cases to simply agree on a lump sum if possible in lieu of perodic payments.

Here in Illinois, we have a maintenance formula and the duration varies increasing the longer you are married but with the impact of the new tax laws, couples may want to consider using the formula just as a guideline and agreeing on a lump sum.

These are complicated matters and it is best to consult and use an an attorney for the best results for both of you. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Oak Park Office
1101 Lake Street
Oak Park, IL 60301

Phone: 630-206-4812
Phone: 708-358-0901
Fax: 708-358-1335
Map & Directions

Oak Brook Office
700 Commerce Drive,
Suite 500
Oak Brook, IL 60523

Phone: 708-628-5102
Phone: 630-288-5000
Map & Directions