PLEASE NOTE: In response to Governor Pritzker’s shelter-in-place order, our physical office is closed. However, our attorney’s and support staff are working remotely in order to service all of your needs. We can be reached via phone or email.
Your Solutions Start With A Phone Call
Schedule A Free Consultation
Oak Park: 708-628-5102
Oak Brook: 630-206-4812

New Law on Child Support Coming July 1

House divided.jpgThe tables are out and our pens are ready. As of July 1, 2017, the State of Illinois will join the majority of states in this country adopting the Income Shares Model for Child Support.

A previous blog addressed in general terms what the new law may look like. Now we have the specifics.

Who will the new law apply to?

Answer: Anyone without a final child support order as of July 1, 2017. Although, any child support order is subject to modification based on a substantial change in circumstances, the Judge will throw you out of court if you come in arguing that the change in the law itself constitutes a change in circumstances.

If you don't have a child support order, how will the court determine how much you have to pay?

Answer: It depends on how many nights a year the child sleeps over. if your child is with you 146 nights a year or longer, then there will be an adjustment downwards.

If not, here is the basic calculation.

Step 1. Determine the net income of the "residential parent" and the "non-residential parent" using the Gross to Net Income Tax Tables provided by the Illinois Department of Health and Family Services.

Step 2. Combine the Net Incomes for the two of you to arrive at a Combined Total for the two of you as if you still resided in the same household.

Step 3. Determine the relative percentages of each parent's income of the Total Net Income by dividing your respective net incomes by the Combined Total.

Step 4. Use the Schedule of Basic Child Support Obligations on the Illinois Department of Health and Family Services Website to determine how much a family with the given combined net income would spend on however many children you have. 

Step 5. Determine your contribution towards the Basic Child Support Obligation based on your percentage share of the Combined Net Income. 

Step 6. If you are the non-residential parent, you will pay the amount of that computation plus your percentage of contribution to health insurance premiums.

That is the basic computation but there are other adjustments beyond the number of nights your child spends with you depending on whether you are already paying child support or maintenance to someone else by court order and whether you don't take the standard tax deduction.

If all of this is confusing to you, consult a legal professional.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Oak Park Office
1101 Lake Street
Oak Park, IL 60301

Phone: 630-206-4812
Phone: 708-358-0901
Fax: 708-358-1335
Map & Directions

Oak Brook Office
700 Commerce Drive,
Suite 500
Oak Brook, IL 60523

Phone: 708-628-5102
Phone: 630-288-5000
Map & Directions