Divorce is scary! Property Division is one but not the only way to overcome these fears.
What are the four most common divorce fears?
1. Will you lose your children?
2. Will you be able to support yourself?
3. Will you lose your home?
4. Will you lose your savings?
It is important to take off the lens of fear and replace those fears with hope and optimism. It's important to reach out to friends and family and maybe a counselor to help you do that. Your lawyer should also play an important role in that process.
1. Will you lose your kids? When you start a divorce in Illinois, you will be expected to formulate a parenting plan within a relatively short period of time, otherwise you will be sent to mediation. That parenting plan will address when both of you are with your children and it should take to account what is in their best interests. For example, in general it would not be in their best interests to alternate seeing each parent every other day or to be driven 2 hours each way between the parents' respective homes 3 times a week.
2. Will you be able to support yourself? You will be expected to create a budget. This starts with just writing down what you spend now on yourself and your children. Once you have written that down, you will begin to know what you need to maintain your current lifestyle and hopefully figure what you might have to cut back on in the short term without dramatically lowering you or your children's standard of living.
It is important to look to the future. What do you want to do with your life in the long term? Maybe you want to go back to school so that you can earn more money? Maybe you can increase your income without sacrificing your time with your children?
Remember what Marie Curie said! "Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more so that we may fear less."